Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

A media driver your computer needs is missing. [SOLVED]

"A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard Disk driver. . . ."

It's not the first time I get this error while trying to install Windows 8 (you might be trying to install other version).

I haven't really figured out what causes this error.

I've heard some of the causes:

- It can be because you are trying to install windows from a usb 3.0 pen your motherboard does not support yet. Solution: use a usb 2.0 port!

- It can also be because of an incompatible device, such as a card reader. Solution: try to unplug everything you don't need (such as fingerprint reader, card readers, etc...) and retry installing windows. The error should be gone.


In my case, none of those were the causes. I don't know what it was, maybe it has to do with the hard disk itself... Anyway, here is MY solution, I mean, the workaround that WORKED WITH ME when I tried installing windows 8.


1st time:
I used windows 7 installation disk to try to repair my computer.Yes, Windows (SEVEN) 7! Yes, I was installing windows 8. But I used the 7 repair tool, since it is much powerful (IMO) than the one that comes with the windows 8 disk.

The windows 7 repair tool successfully repaired my computer and when I tried to install Windows 8 again, the error was gone.


2nd time:
I had to format my laptop and reinstall Windows 8. The same error came up. The windows 7 disk was not with me so I could not use it. I went to advanced options menu (still in the windows 8 disk) and tried to repair. Didn't work. I started the command line option and formatted my hard disk (drive d: in that day). So: I typed: "d:" and then "format d:". It started formatting my local disk but it was taking too long. When it was on 7%, I ctrl+C (breaked) the operation. And when I restarted the windows 8 setup, the error was gone :D


Hope this helps!

2 comments:

  1. had usb drive with extracted iso formatted to ntfs, when changed to fat32 problem went away

    ReplyDelete